Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Generations of Junk Mail Recyclers!





This is my Great Grandma "Jo" Brandt, who passed away 3 years before I was born at the age of 89. She was a very cool and resourceful lady. Having no running water, in the 70's she would collect and boil snow in the winter to use for water. She also saved aluminum gum wrappers to help with the war efforts.

My mom reminded me today that she too, like me, used to recycle her mail. She would take the flaps on envelopes, cut them off, write on them, lick them, and use them to label the food she canned. I can't imagine they would have stuck very well to jars, but I thought that was a great idea whether you label canned food, or anything else. You could use them to label your books with your name, make address labels, etc!

Here's another idea that just popped into my head...give them to your kids and let them decorate them with their own artwork to create their own "stamps." Use them as seals or stickers to decorate your mail, or their school notebooks & folders, etc!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

What's going on in the world of Junk Mail Gems, along with other cool, hand-made "green" products, DIY projects, and more!